Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Rebels, Kindred Spirits & the CRUSH



CLARA BOW
Clara Gordon Bow (July 29, 1905 – September 27, 1965) .
Before she was the "it" flapper girl. She was known as
"The Brooklyn Bombshell"


"
A sex symbol is a heavy load to carry when one is tired, hurt and bewildered."
Clara Bow


"For the first time in my life I knew there was beauty in the world. For the first time I saw distant lands, serene, lovely homes, romance, nobility, glamour...on the silver screen"
Clara Bow

"..Clara Bow lingers in the eye, long after the picture has gone.."
Variety January 1924


She is as refreshingly unaffected as if she had never faced a means to pretend. She hasn't any secrets from the world, she trusts everyone... she is almost too good to be true... only wish some reformer who believes the screen contaminates all who associate with it could meet this child. Still on second thought it might not be safe: Clara uses a dangerous pair of eyes.
The New York Morning Telegraph 1923

“A dangerous little devil is Clara, impish, appealing, but oh, how she can act!”
Sept 7th 1924 The Los Angeles Times

"She danced even when her feet weren't moving. Some part of her was always in motion, if only her great, rolling eyes. It was an elemental magnetism, an animal vitality, that made her the center of attraction in any company."
Adolph Zukor Head of Paramount Pictures

"I ain't sure what "IT" even is"
Clara Bow (when asked about IT girl status)


“I can never tell you what happiness I felt, life had been so terrible hard and it seemed to me that now all my troubles were to be in the past”
Clara Bow (on seeing her name in bright lights)


"We had individuality. We did as we pleased. We stayed up late. We dressed the way we wanted. I used to whiz down Sunset Boulevard in my open Kissel, with several red Chow dogs to match my hair. Today, they're sensible and end up with better health. But WE had more fun."
Clara Bow

Crush the Era.
Crush the Style
Crush the Rebel Spirit
of the Girl behind the smile


And the Crush Goes On...

Birdee