Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fast Freight Beauty


As I wrap the final presents this evening & place them beneath the tree, I am overwhelmed with memories of holidays past. My dad & I laying train tracks carefully around the tree while adding our own homemade tunnels & bridges of brightly wrapped gifts, holiday cards, stuffed animals & such. It was a yearly ritual which became just as much a part of Christmas as mom's decorated snowmen cookies & my overly ambitious handmade snowflakes (no they were horrible). But, My train?? Oooo it was amazing!! An Electric Southern Fast Freight beauty! A steam locomotive engine LOADED with coal cars & an array of brightly colored boxcars, gondola cars, flatbeds & a fabulous green caboose with a fancy black filigre porch (so plastic figurines of santa could watch the scenery of miniature reindeer & shiny tiny presents as they whizzed by). Oh yes, it went forward AND backward & the smooth sound of that locomotion!! OH Hours upon HOURS were spent watching that train....I especially loved the "swish" sound of the caboose as it slung around each curve, defying gravity, defying NATURE!! Ok, so it was actually Defying the corner of my mom's newly wrapped houseslippers yet again....but it was AWE INSPIRING!
Isn't it amazing the magic to be found in the simplest of moments?

And still to this day, whenever I see a freight train?
I am reminded of that toy...& the brighter the boxcars??

The more vivid the memory...



I am wishing you a beautiful holiday filled with vivid moments




Peace Love and




Lots & Lots of "Swish"

And the Crush Goes On.....


xoxoxo


Parachute Girl